In 1945 a section on dental roentgenology was approved by the American Dental Association at the urging of Drs. H. Cline Fixott, Sr. and LeRoy M. Ennis and began activities with Dr. Fixott as chairman. The annual section meetings inspired a few farsighted professionals who founded the American Academy of Oral Roentgenologists in October, 1949 at a meeting in San Francisco. The Academy was renamed the American Academy of Oral Roentgenology in 1951, renamed the American Academy of Dental Radiology in 1967 and renamed again in 1988 as the American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology. Today, the Academy has a membership of approximately 400 dental professionals and members of the dental radiographic industry.